Sunday, December 30, 2007

Pajama Day At Work


Here is a new experience for me, could have been a social disaster too. I took the day after Christmas off work so I wasn't there for the "attire announcement". Ruth (co-worker and partner in crime) sent me a text message on Wednesday morning (Dec 26th) "we can wear PJ's to work tomorrow". Sounded like a fun switch to things. But then my next thought was the same thing my son expressed out loud.... the fear that it was all a trick on me. I'd show up to work in pajamas and be the only fool there in them. So I replied back with... "are you gonna wear them?"...
Ruth: "probably" ...
me: "ok but if you don't you BETTER tell me"...
Ruth: "i will i promise"...
me: "i'll go today and get something suitable for public viewing lol".

You see... I don't wear 'pajamas' to sleep in nor have anything else "gowns, etc" that I would wear out in public. I wanted to fit in and not be the only not wearing PJ's. And I did like the idea of something different.. besides the 'sapphire blue' scrubs we wear everyday in the office. So I went and bought PJ's to wear to work.
I got up and got ready as usual the next day... same routines but just headed out the door with cute pink flannel pajamas on instead of my "blues". My hubby informs me "you need to stop at the pharmacy on the way home & pick up a couple of prescriptions I called in this morning." (ARE YOU KIDDING ME??)
"I'm in pajamas!"... And??? (insert his blank stare here)
Gimmie a break.. there was no way I was going inside of a Super Kroger store dressed like that. I know some people don't mind going out in public looking like they just got out of bed... I on the other hand DID mind. I think the prescriptions could have waited til I changed out of the night cloths lol.
I go in to work and only Ruth and I have followed through completely. Everyone else was either just dressed down or wearing a poor excuse for PJ's (lounge pants or sweat pants). I don't care if it is "what you sleep in". That wasn't the plan here... I didn't wear what I normally sleep in either! I don't wear flannel pajamas either but I 'dressed the part'.
Halfway through the day, someone gets the big idea for all the girls in the office to go out to dinner together to Olive Garden RIGHT AFTER WORK! Could things get any worse???
From now on I either .. a.) choose not to participate in the alternative clothing activities in the office, or ... b.) wear normal clothes in to work... change there only AFTER i see who all is actually participating... and then change out of them before leaving work lol


No comments:

Post a Comment