Monday, January 10, 2011

Secret Dinner - Easy Turkey Pot Pie

So my hubby doesn't like ground turkey. He's the typical Meat (aka Beef) and Potatoes guy. I mentioned once fixing something with it and he made a horrible face and said "NO!" So I said okay and let it go. Well I DO like ground turkey. Not only is it healthier, it can be seasoned and taste good too.


So I was looking around last night for something quick and easy to fix for dinner with the pound of hamburger I'd taken out of the freezer. I ended up on BettyCrocker.com and found a recipe for "Easy Hamburger Pot Pie." It sounded good and was the perfect comfort meal for a cold January day. So I edited it some and here is MY recipe for Easy Turkey Pot Pie (with ground turkey). Sshhhh don't tell him I used turkey instead of ground beef. He LOVED it! I am still laughing inside. 






I like to try new things. Him... well, not so much. He's not a complainer at all. He'll eat what I fix because it's there, he's hungry and well fixed for him. Just when he's not real crazy about something he really makes no comments at all.


So last night he tasted it and said "this is good". He ate a little bit more and said, "this is something new you've tried that I really like." SCORE! So here is what I made.


1 pound of ground turkey
2 tsp of onion flakes (onion powder or chopped onion would be just as good)
1 tsp of salt
1 1/2 tsp of pepper
2 tsp of beef bouillon granules
1 can of carrots
1 can of green beans
1 can of sliced potatoes
1 can of creamed corn
1 can of cream of chicken soup
2 cups of Bisquick baking mix
1 cup of milk
2 eggs
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown ground turkey with salt, pepper and onion flakes. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the canned vegetables and soup with the beef bouillon granules. 



Add cooked turkey and mix everything well. Pour into a 9" X 13" baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.



In a medium mixing bowl, mix the baking mix, milk and eggs. Poor evenly over the top of the meat and vegetables.


Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.


Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of crust and return to oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.



After my hubby went to bed last night I broke down and told my son about the turkey in the pot pie. He didn't care never would have. I told him I wanted an honest un-biased reaction from his dad before I told him. We just finished off the leftovers for lunch today and my son asked me, "have you told dad yet about the turkey?" I told him no but I would... at some point.

Hubby enjoyed it today as much as last night. I have other "secrets" I'm going to experiment on him with. For instance. Who can honestly tell one brand of normal yellow mustard from another? I can't. He swears he can. I'm going to use the more economical store brand of mustard and fill the French's container that is almost empty. We'll see if he notices. I'll let you know.

Do you have a family member with a brand name or food quirk that you think is "all in their head"?


3 comments:

  1. Don't tell him about the turkey for a while...continue to cook with it and he will get REALLY used to it. Then tell him.

    My Mom did this to my Dad growing up with Skim Milk...she slowly refilled the jug of 2% with it and he got used to it. He now only drinks skim! :)

    As for the Mustard... I think he will be able to tell. There's a difference. More spices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I'll have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete