Monday, June 21, 2010

Family Update - The Fat Lady is humming!

It's been a whirlwind of emotions in our family. My last post on Thursday last week was about my mother and brother both being hospitalized... same time/days but at different hospitals... 30 minutes apart. Talk about revolving doors. I thought for a few days there I had taken a new job at a hospital.

Thankfully they have both been discharged home! They were both supposed to be hospitalized until Sunday.

But to my surprise, when I showed up Saturday morning around 10am to check on mom, she was sitting up in the chair in her room (and wasn't even allowed to sit up in bed the day before) said they were talking about letting her go if she could get up and walk around okay. I had my doubts but watched her get up and take a short walk down the hallway with her nurse. Thank God for answered prayers! And this is even more miraculous to us because we got a little worse news after her heart cath than what I knew and had posted last week. Instead of the 'light heart attack' the nurse told me about upon arrival to the hospital, her cardiologist talked us immediately after the heart cath and said it was actually a 'pretty big one'. My heart sank at those words, not knowing what he would say next.

Dr Gill told us that she had 3 blockages. The worst was 90% blocked and he'd inserted a stent during the heart cath. He told us the other two were a little less and since her heart muscle was weak at that time (operating at 40%) he was going to have her come back in a couple of weeks to have the other two stents put in. Here is a visual if you haven't experienced anything like this in your family... we certainly hadn't.





So I got to surprise the whole family and bring her home on Saturday afternoon!.

Meanwhile, my brother was still receiving his steroid treatments via IV for 3 days (along with fluids and pain medication) in order to reduce swelling inside and keep down liquids and soft foods. He was able to do this for the first time (since he procedure last Tuesday) on Saturday, mid-morning. He texted me that he was going to be released to go home, just as I was going over mom's discharge instructions/meds at her hospital.

Through many prayers (thank you!) our family can rest a little easier.

"Cast all your cares upon Him, for he cares for you." ~ I Peter 5:7... we certainly had to do that and trust everything would be fine. And my favorite verse!...


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ~Jeremiah 29:11


Thank you all for your thoughts, well wishes, and prayers for them both! My mother will return to the hospital on July 12th for two more stents in the lower risk blockages. I would appreciate your prayers for strength regain and successful recovery from the next procedure and beyond. =)

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all the great news.. Your mom will do fine with the stents.. keepingher in prayers..

    ReplyDelete