Friday, March 19, 2010

Pay It Forward Friday




As mentioned earlier this week, I have been inspired by a couple of people... one, a total stranger in the drive-thru and two, Ian (from The Daily Dose of Reality). I am making a conscious, intentional effort to do at least one (though more acts would be even better) Random Act of Kindness once a week. I don't mean just being a "nice person". A Random Act of Kindness... Paying It Forward is a step above, and even a GREAT thing if it's something they cannot do for themselves... just like the movie suggests. And if you haven't watched the movie you SHOULD! Here is a brief clip...




Nothing I post is ever intended for self-glory. In fact, I'd much rather read what YOU have done for someone else. Be proud of the fact that you are making someone's life better, that you are GIVING instead of receiving. Although by Paying It Forward you will be receiving a better outlook and feeling about your worth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I was moved with the appreciation of a friend this week. I was sharing with my dear friend "L" the awesome cookbook I got last weekend (Ree Drummond's The Pioneer Woman Cooks). She loves to cook and is a great one and loves to share her goodies with her friends. She had commented more than once that she'd  wanted to get that cookbook. I knew it wasn't possible for her to do right now. She's a single mother and one of those children is also a young single mother & college student. They both do a wonderful job of mothering and give it their all. I stopped on the way home from work a couple of days ago for a few things and without having her or that book on my mind, the minute my feet stepped inside the store, I heard the words in my head, "buy L that book". It was clear to me and I never questioned the thought.

The next day I presented my friend L with this book and she was moved to tears, stating "no one ever buys anything for me". Her tears and the hug with thanks that I received made me a little emotional as well. I can't describe how it made me feel to do something that seemed so small to me, but seemed so great to her. It's a euphoria that makes you feel, even for just a short while, that this world is not hopeless. That each of us CAN make a difference in the lives of those within our reach.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I hope you are encouraged to seek out an act of kindness. And I'd love to read about it. Feel free to grab the button and link up to share with us how you have made a difference. No kind gesture to another is too small.

My Lifesong



MckLinky Blog Hop

6 comments:

  1. I'm doing Pay it Forward again today! ;) Just nothing to give away other than Blog of the Week honors but I'm still doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really great story (made me well up a little bit too!). It's really encouraging to hear that something so small could make that big of a difference to someone.

    Visiting from Feel Good Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian - I'm thrilled that you are participating! Doesn't matter what you do, just that we make a point to DO something for someone and make their day is what counts!

    Kim - Welcome, thanks for stopping by. Though I knew the gift would be appreciated, I never expected as strong a reaction I got. Which reaffirmed that I listened to the right voice stepping into the store that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana - I think what you did was wonderful. I totally agree about paying it forward and random acts of kindness. It is just the little things that can really make a person's day and put a smile on their face!

    Have a super weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. Here in MN we have the Drive Thru difference through a local radio station. We're supposed to drive thru, pay for the next person and then the window person gives them a card letting us know what we did. I haven't had a chance to do it yet, but I want to!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ~Mimi @ Woven by Words

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have an award waiting for you at Between the Lines! :)

    http://betweenthelines-kam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete