Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?



I've got my work cut out for me. I have a back yard that just screams for attention! I have small garden plans and look forward to getting started. Here is what I have to work with... oh, and don't judge me too harshly on these photos. I work full time, go to school, run the household (all the shopping, paying bills, most of the cooking and cleaning). I just haven't had the time to get to this part yet. ;-)



This shot is the far left corner of the back yard. The chain link fence needs some cleaning of all the vine overgrowth, as well as something done with that old rusty burn barrel. This corner will be the focus area of the garden. I'm thinking something with some height growing back there or some other way that might create some privacy. You see... the view I have from the back yard can be seen in this wider shot of the back yard below.





We have a lovely view of a 4-lane highway, complete with overpass over the highway. :(

I have this area in the back of the yard and some space along the wall of the detached garage you can see in the picture below.



So tell me... is it any wonder I never come back here to spend any time? Not real fond of watching traffic speeding up and down the highway. I'm hoping to change all that though and make some use of the space. I'm am starting to search for ideas, tips and inspiration. 

I just have a couple of little things I have to keep in mind...
This is not MY property but rented property (with approval for some gardening). That being said, of course I need to be thrifty and not put a lot of money into this. I just want something better to look at and use, but not sink a lot of money into property I don't own and will leave one day.

Anyone have any ideas? Pictures? Tips? Websites? Anything gardening to share with this newbie?
I'm hoping to grown a few vegetables (tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers) as well a floral gardening area to. I'd love to hear your ideas and welcome them!


No comments:

Post a Comment